Enrolling New Elementary School Students

Please use the menu on the left to find the various pages regarding elementary school enrollment.

For parents of incoming kindergartners and other families new to BUSD

Please refer to the Steps to Elementary School Enrollment page for up-to-date information!

Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten

Visit our “Getting Ready for Kindergarten” webpage for information on kindergarten and first grade age requirements.  Information on transitional kindergarten is also available on this page.

General enrollment guidelines for continuing and new BUSD students:

Continuing Students:   Berkeley residents who are presently attending an elementary or middle school will automatically be able to remain at their current school.  Students wishing to change schools must fill out a Parent Preference Form indicating their first, second and third choice of schools for the next year.  If space is not available at any of their choices, they will remain at their current school.

Current fifth graders and 8th graders at all schools must fill out a preference form indicating their choices of school. Students’ birth certificate and proofs of Berkeley residency must be submitted at the time of enrollment.

New Students:  Parents of students who are entering Berkeley’s schools must fill out an enrollment form and list their preferences for schools.  Along with the enrollment form, parents must submit the student’s birth certificate and three proofs of Berkeley residency.  There are three categories of acceptable proofs of residency explained in detail here.  Each proof of residency, other than the driver’s license, must be less than two months old and have the parent’s name and address on it.  Home visits to verify addresses may be done on a random basis.  Under state law, parents may request any school in the district; however, first priority will be given to families who live in the school’s attendance zone.  Students transferring from another district should also submit a report card or transcript from the student’s previous school.

If your child is new to Berkeley Unified School District or starting preschool, transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, or 7th grade, you will need to provide your child’s school with documentation that your child has been fully immunized. A list of the required immunizations can be found here.

Please note: As of January 2016, California state law (Senate Bill 277) no longer allows parents/guardians of students to submit a personal belief exemption form for any currently required immunizations. Children who have not provided BUSD with documentation verifying they have received all required immunizations prior to the first day of school (August 29, 2017) will not be allowed to attend school until all immunization records have been provided.

If you have questions you can read more here, or contact the district nurse Rikki Moreno at 510-644-6960 or rikkimoreno@berkeley.net.

Non-Resident Students:  Students who are not Berkeley residents may request enrollment in Berkeley schools on an Inter-District Permit, if approved by the school district where they live and by BUSD.  Inter-district permits must be renewed each year.  However, no student attending on an Inter-District Permit will be placed until the permit renewal is received.  Under Berkeley’s enrollment system, priority for enrollment is given to all Berkeley residents before inter-district students are admitted.  As a result, permits are limited. More information regarding Inter-District Permits can be found here.

If you have moved within Berkeley, please complete a Change of Address Form (available in English or Español) and submit it to the Admissions Office along with the required documents.