Enrolling New Middle School Students

All Parents/Guardians of BUSD 5th graders* and students new to the Berkeley Unified School District must submit a Middle School Parent Preference Form and supporting documentation to enroll in middle school. The Admissions Office is open Monday through Friday, 8am – 4pm, except for Tuesday, when it is open from 8am – 3pm.

*Note: Students currently enrolled in a BUSD school in 5th grade must also participate in the middle school enrollment process by submitting a Grade 6-8 parent preference form along with residency and required documentation, including three original proofs of residency. Please review the document requirements here.

Parents/Guardians of students on an inter-district permit should contact the Admissions Office about the middle school enrollment process.

Search by address to find your zone’s middle school on our Find Your BUSD Zone page.  Longfellow Magnet Middle School is open to all Berkeley resident middle school students; placement at the school is determined by random lottery.

For parents of incoming middle school students and other families new to BUSD

Please refer to the Steps to Middle School Enrollment page for up-to-date information!

Parent Preference Forms / Forma de Preferencia para Padres:

Must be printed on legal-sized paper, or picked up in the Admissions Office.
Hay que copiar la forma en un papel de tamaño legal.

General Enrollment Guidelines

BUSD 5th Grade Students:   Current fifth graders at all schools must fill out a preference form indicating their choices of middle school.  Middle School information nights are held at each of the district’s three middle schools in January.

Current Students: Berkeley residents who are presently attending a middle school will automatically be able to remain at their current school.  Students wishing to change schools must fill out a Parent Preference Form indicating their first, second and third choice of schools for the next year.  If space is not available at any of their choices, they will remain at their current school.

New Students:  Parents of students who are entering Berkeley’s schools must fill out an enrollment form and list their preferences for schools.  Along with the enrollment form, parents must submit the student’s birth certificate and three proofs of Berkeley residency.  There are three categories of acceptable proofs of residency explained in detail here. Each proof of residency, other than the driver’s license, must be less than two months old and have the parent’s name and address on it.  Home visits to verify addresses may be done on a random basis.  Under state law, parents may request any school in the district; however, first priority will be given to families who live in the school’s attendance zone.  Students transferring from another district should also submit a report card or transcript from the student’s previous school.

If your child is new to Berkeley Unified School District or starting preschool, transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, or 7th grade, you will need to provide your child’s school with documentation that your child has been fully immunized. A list of the required immunizations can be found here.

Please note: As of January 2016, California state law (Senate Bill 277) no longer allows parents/guardians of students to submit a personal belief exemption form for any currently required immunizations. Children who have not provided BUSD with documentation verifying they have received all required immunizations prior to the first day of school (August 29, 2017) will not be allowed to attend school until all immunization records have been provided.

If you have questions you can read more here, or contact the district nurse Rikki Moreno at 510-644-6960 or rikkimoreno@berkeley.net.

Non-Resident Students:  Students who are not Berkeley residents may request enrollment in Berkeley schools on an Inter-District Permit, if approved by the school district where they live and by BUSD.  Inter-district permits must be renewed each year.  However, no student attending on an Inter-District Permit will be placed until the permit renewal is received.  Under Berkeley’s enrollment system, priority for enrollment is given to all Berkeley residents before inter-district students are admitted.  As a result, permits are limited. More information regarding Inter-District Permits can be found here.

If you have moved within Berkeley, please complete a Change of Address Form (available in English or Español) and submit it to the Admissions Office along with the required documents.