September is election month for each school’s School Governance Council (SGC). The term of office of SGC members is October 1 – September 30 each year. Recruitment and election of the new year’s members takes place in September. Per the BUSD SGC Bylaws, it is the responsibility of the SGC Chair and members, with the help of the P&O Representative(s) and the Principal, to organize the recruitment/election process.
September presents many good opportunities to reach new and returning families:
- Kindergarten and New Family Orientation
- Back to School Night
- First PTA meeting
- Meetings of other family/school groups.
Recruitment of potential SGC members includes:
- Providing an SGC Info Table and speaking enthusiastically at the above gatherings
- Sending recruitment fliers home
- Placing announcements on bulletin boards, and in schools newsletters and e-trees
- Direct one-on-on invitations.
Nominations are solicited, ballots are prepared, and the election is held, either via ballots sent home or at a well-publicized meeting. Please note that:
- Any SGC member who is a candidate for re-election may not directly participate in conducting the election;
- Membership on the SGC is open to all families. A diversity of voices on the SGC is a strength for each school!
Below are a sample SGC Election Timeline and a number of sample recruitment and election tools. Feel free to use or modify them as you see fit.
Special Note to Parents who are moving on to another school this year:
Please take a moment to contact your “next-in-command” at the school you are leaving, to be sure that a recruitment/election plan is in place.
Sample SGC & ELAC Election Timeline
SGC Recruitment Flier – English
SGC Recruitment Flier – Spanish
Sample SGC Nomination form – English
Sample SGC Nomination form – Spanish
Sample SGC Ballot – bilingual