Attendance and Truancy

School Attendance
Every minute of a child’s time at school is important. Children who are absent for even one day, or who arrive later than their classmates, miss valuable instruction time and can easily fall behind in school. They also miss important socialization time and fun with their peers.

When a student is absent from school it results in a loss of funding for our district. The State of California does not reimburse school districts for days students are absent. For 2010-2011, the District lost over $2,000,000 in unearned income due to absences.

Report an Absence

Read Our Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Attendance

State Law and Truancy

State law requires that a child between the ages of 6 and 18 attend school.  Pursuant to Education Code 48260, any student subject to compulsory full-time education or to compulsory continuation education who is absent from school without a valid excuse three full days in one school year or tardy or absent for more than any 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on three occasions in one school year, or any combination thereof, is a truant and shall be reported to the District’s attendance supervisor.  Statutes that Apply to Truancy (PDF)

  • Habitual Truant:  A pupil is deemed a habitual truant if s/he is reported as a truant three or more times per school year.  However, no pupil shall be deemed a habitual truant unless an appropriate district officer or employee has made a conscientious effort to hold at least one conference with a parent or guardian of the pupil.
  • Student Attendance Review Board(SARB):  Any student deemed a habitual truant shall be referred to a school attendance review board.  The purpose of the SARB is to work collaboratively with the students and their families, and explore and utilize suggested interventions that will be successful for the pupil involved.  Should SARB determine that its intervention services are insufficient or inappropriate to correct the truancy, or the pupil does not follow SARB’s directions, then a referral may be submitted to the district attorney or county probation office.