Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 1312.1 Complaint Form
For any concern or complaint against any Berkeley Unified School District policy, practice, or procedure; any school site practice or procedure; or a District employees.
- Step 1: Informal Resolution with Principal or Department Head
- Step 2: Filing a Written Formal Complaint
- Step 3: Site or Department Conference (within 5 working days)
- Step 4: District Review (within 5 working days)
- Step 5: Superintendent’s or Designee’s Review (within 5 working days; written response w/in 10 working days of review)
- Step 6: Requesting a Board of Directors’ Hearing
Uniform Complaint Process Concerning Categorical Aid Programs
Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 1312.3
For discrimination under any protected category or school program receiving federal and state funds, such as Adult Education, Child Nutrition, Childcare & Development Programs, Vocational Education, Special Education.
- Step 1: Filing a complaint
- Step 2: Mediation (within 3 days)
- Step 3: Investigation of the complaint (within 5 days)
- Step 4: Response to the complaint (within 30 days)
- Step 5: Final Written Decision
Sexual Harassment Complaint Form
Board Policy 4319.11
The Berkeley Unified School District is committed to provide an educational environment free of unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature including sexual advances, requests for sexual favor, and other verbal or physical conduct or communications constituting sexual harassment, as defined and otherwise prohibited by state and federal law.
- Contact Site Administrator (Principal or Department Head)
- If the incident involves students only, contact the Student Services Office, Director of Student Services Dr. Susan Craig, 510-883-5224.
- If the incident involves a BUSD employee, contact the Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources Department Delia Ruiz, 510-644-6150.
Williams Uniform Complaint Procedure
Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 1312.4
For instructional materials, teacher vacancy or misassignment, facility condition, support to complete CAHSEE requirement after exiting high school.
The Director of Student Services is responsible for receiving and investigating formal complaints. Please file all complaints, except where noted at:
Student Services Office
BUSD Compliance Officer
1835 Allston Way, Room 5
Berkeley, CA 94704
tel. (510) 883-5224
Detailed information on all procedures and forms can be found in the Parent-Student Handbook.