The Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) seeks Berkeley residents interested in serving on a key committee charged with ensuring proper use of the local taxes approved by Berkeley’s generous voters for school construction.
Members of this committee, commonly known as the Construction Bond Oversight Committee (CBOC), are entrusted with the important, independent watchdog role of monitoring and reporting on the expenditures of Measure I — a $210 million bond measure for construction, facility upgrades and school safety — that was approved by 77% of Berkeley voters in 2010. While Measure I is the Committee’s chief focus, the Committee also is requested to review and report on expenditures of bond funds remaining from Measure A of 1992 and Measure AA of 2000.Such a committee is required by state law and also serves the vital function of ensuring that Berkeley taxpayer dollars are spent in accordance with the language of the bond measure.
The Committee consists of seven members and has a goal of meeting approximately once a month. Members are appointed by the School Board for two-year terms and serve as volunteers. Bylaws for the Committee (known also as the Measure I Citizens’ Construction Oversight Committee) may be viewed on the BUSD website.
State law requires that the Committee membership include the following:
- One member shall be active in a business organization representing the business community within the district.
- One member shall be active in a senior citizens’ organization.
- One member shall be active in a bona fide taxpayers’ organization.
- One member shall be the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the district.
- One member shall be both a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the district and active in a parent-teacher organization, such as the parent teacher association or school site council.
Please note that any individual member can fulfill more than one of the above requirements, and that Berkeley residents who do not fit into any of the above categories are eligible to serve as “At Large” members.
Those interested in applying are asked to fill out and submit this online application by May 5.
For questions, please contact Chanita Stevenson in the BUSD Facilities Department: email@example.com, 510-644-6066.