History of Cragmont

Cragmont History

 

  • Cragmont School was built in 1926. The original architect was W.H. Ratcliff, Jr. The original school was located on a very small plot of land approximately one-fourth the current property. When it opened, there were approximately 145 students.
  • In 1965 a new building was constructed with proceeds from the 1962 bond. The architects chosen to design the new school were Gerald D. McCue and Associates and William M. Gillis Architects.
  • By 1970 there were approximately 662 students enrolled at Cragmont.
  • In 1975 three kindergarten rooms were added. Later, several portables were added.
  • By 1990 the school was vacated because it was seismically unsafe. The district explored a retrofit option, but was constrained by the condition of the soil in this area. In 1995 BUSD hired Elbasani and Logan Architects (ELS) to design the new school. In 1996 the Board approved the design for the new school building and the construction was completed in 1999.