Each of Berkeley’s elementary schools has a distinct personality, but they share a strong BUSD identity. All are committed to developing a community of critical thinkers and lifelong learners by providing the same core curriculum and offering the following opportunities:
- Coordinated Early Literacy Program that gets lots of “just right books” in the hands and homes of every student
- Aligned Everyday Math Curriculum and support from our district Math Coaches and Math Teacher Leaders
- Literacy Coaches who enhance instruction at every elementary school as teacher leaders and through direct small group reading instruction to students
- Aligned science and social studies curricula including opportunities for experiential learning and local field trips
- Smaller class sizes than other districts
- Targeted instruction in English language for English learners
- Varied instructional strategies designed to serve our culturally and linguistically diverse student population
- A model of “Response to Intervention and Instruction” designed to support students at the first sign of struggle
- Special Education services for students with disabilities
- Weekly instruction in art, music including instrumental music in grades 4-5, and library media
- Opportunities to study and reflect on social justice movements and current events
- Physical Education each week often including dance and movement
- Positive behavior systems and Welcoming Schools curriculum that enhances school climate
- Opportunities for free play during daily recess and lunch per day for students
- School breakfast (free for all) and lunch program that incorporates locally-grown and organic produce whenever possible, diverse menu choices, and multiple options for a balanced meal.
- Access to tutors and other school volunteers to enhance the options for differentiating instruction through individualized attention, enrichment and support
- After school enrichment programs in athletics, academics and the arts
Our school enrollment process allows for several opportunities to get to know the uniqueness in each of our schools. We value the partnership between parents and schools – you are your child’s first and most important teacher.
No matter which schools you choose, our teachers and staff stand ready to work with you to provide your children with the tools they need to succeed and make positive contributions to our world.