LeConte School History
- Le Conte, one of the City’s original schools, was built as a six-room school house in 1892 with funds from the City’s first school bond. The original architect was A.H. Broad. The first principal was Miss Alice Keefer. The original school was on a smaller piece of property than is currently owned.
- In 1896 a two room building was added. This building was later moved to Berkeley High School for music instruction.
- By 1900 there were approximately 258 students.
- In 1917 the school was described as having the most successful garden of any in Berkeley.
- By 1926 there were three buildings and a total of 18 classrooms. Temporary structures were added and subtracted over the years.
- The current school was built in 1951. Dragon, Schmidts and Hardman were the architects chosen to design the school.
- In 1989 Le Conte was chosen as one of the first schools to be made accessible. This was accomplished over the next several years.
- In 1994 the school was modernized. The architect firm of Baker/Vilar Architects did the design work.
- Further modernization was completed in 2000, including a newly remodeled library and office area.