Thousand Oaks School History
- The Thousand Oaks School was constructed in 1920. The architect was William C. Hayes.
- In 1928 a second story was added to the building. The architects were Stone and de Sanno Associated Architects.
- In the early years, the site housed the Sunshine School in the section of the site closest to Solano Avenue.
- By 1926 there were five buildings and 19 classrooms. There were 565 students enrolled at Thousand Oaks.
- In 1935 the building was retrofitted. Much of the original character of the building was removed at this time.
- In 1964 an annex was added to the site. It was designed by Wong and Kami Architects. In 1970 there were 629 students enrolled at Thousand Oaks.
- In 1993 the architecture firm of Muller Caulfield with Stanley Saitowitz was hired to design a retrofit or a new school. In late 1993 the school building was designated a local landmark. Unfortunately, because of the poor condition of the building, the Board of Education voted to demolish the old structure and build a new building on the same site. The new building was completed in Fall 2000 with a design that follows the history and character of the neighborhood.