The School Board is recruiting applicants for the Facilities Safety & Maintenance Oversight Committee to provide oversight of and input into an expenditure plan developed annually by District staff to use the tax proceeds for maintenance and safety consistent with the intent of Measure H.
The Board is currently accepting applications from interested parties who have experience in some of the following areas: facilities safety and maintenance; budget and finance; experience in administration; familiarity with the Berkeley school community and the interests of representative school groups, and familiarity with BUSD maintenance needs and planning efforts to date.
This is a Board Committee, comprised of seven voting members appointed by the Board of Education. There are currently three openings.
Applications may be submitted by regular mail, email or fax, and must be received by the District by June 16, 2017.
Download the application, which includes information on how to submit it, and see further details below.
In order to review the District’s administration of and compliance with the terms of this Measure, the Committee shall provide input into the Annual Plan for expenditures on maintenance and safety.
(1) Annual Plan: With the purpose of ensuring that the intent of Measure H is being met, Committee shall provide input into an expenditure plan (the “Annual Plan”) to be developed annually by the District staff recommending specific expenditures of the tax proceeds for maintenance and safety that are consistent with the intent of the Measure. The Committee shall develop processes to ensure that the particular needs of each site are understood and considered in the development of the Annual Plan. A draft Annual Plan shall be distributed to the Committee and made available for public review at least two weeks prior to Board action. The plan will include measurable goals and objectives. In conjunction with the Annual Plan, The Committee shall provide input into a long term, multi-year strategic plan (the “Strategic Plan”) for maintenance to be developed by District staff, for Board approval. The Strategic Plan shall be consistent with the intent of the Measure and will be reviewed annually. A progress report shall be developed by District staff annually in conjunction with the Annual Plan.
(2) The Committee shall review the Audit Report as it pertains to Measure H, and will review the final audit from Measure BB.
COMPOSITION OF THE COMMITTEE:
The Committee, as mandated by Board Policy 9132, shall be comprised of 7 official, voting members to be selected as follows:
CRITERIA FOR MEMBERSHIP:
(1) Facilities safety and maintenance experience or knowledge-familiarity with standard practices in construction and maintenance of public facilities.
(2) Budgetary knowledge–familiarity with standard accounting practices.
(3) Administrative experience–familiarity with effective management and administrative practices.
(4) Familiarity with the Berkeley school community and the interests of representative school groups.
(5) Familiarity with BUSD maintenance needs and planning efforts to date.
Membership shall be limited to residents or property taxpayers of the City of Berkeley, parents of BUSD students, BUSD students, or BUSD employees who are not in a conflict of interest position, i.e., individuals, agents of employees or vendors who may stand to gain financially from a recommendation of the Committee.
The Board may, at its discretion, appoint one or two Board Members as Liaison to the Committee. No Board Member may be a voting member of the Committee. The votes of students appointed to the Committee shall be counted.
For questions, contact Steve Collins, 510-644-6526, email@example.com.