2020 Vision BUSD/City Council Report 3.7.12
View 2020 Vision Update – Fall 2011 Get Ready for Kindergarten PDF (español)
Highlights of the 2020 Vision partnership accomplishments in 2011 include:
- The Berkeley Alliance began hosting a Kindergarten-Early Childhood Education Collaborative, a forum for connecting Pre-K providers and Kindergarten teachers to share information and support children and families entering Kindergarten.
- The City of Berkeley Parks, Recreation & Waterfront Department helped prepare 71 students for Kindergarten through the City of Berkeley’s Power Play pre-K program.
- BUSD piloted a Universal Kindergarten Assessment that will, in future years, provide valuable information about how we can better prepare our students for Kindergarten, and help K- understand the strengths and needs of their new students.
- Berkeley Alliance, BUSD, City of Berkeley and UC Berkeley all partnered to expand UC’s Cal Corps BUILD: Equity through Literacy tutoring program to all 11 BUSD elementary schools, 2 city recreation programs and 2 community programs to help over 240 struggling readers reach reading proficiency.
- City of Berkeley staff donated nearly 1,000 books for distribution at afterschool programs as a part of our early literacy campaign.
- BUSD and the Berkeley Police Department jointly launched the Truancy Absenteeism Reduction Prevention Program-a partnership to ensure that students out of class during the school day return to school to attend classes.
- The Berkeley Alive and Free Coalition was formed – a new learning community of youth providers and community members trained to implement the Alive & Free violence prevention and youth engagement model developed by Dr. Joseph Marshall of the Omega Boys Club.