Phased Reopening Target Dates
November 9, 2020: Phase 1 Targeted Support for 8-Student Cohorts – Elementary
- Cohorts of only 8 students, with strict bubble groups
- Cohorts selected through elementary COST team recommendations
- COVID Testing for staff volunteering for in-person work
- Family required to sign BUSD Family Agreement
- The program begins at Jefferson, Malcolm X, and Rosa Parks.
- Expansion will be based on staff availability
November 30, 2020: Phase 1B Larger Cohorts – Elementary
- Same elements as Phase 1
- Student cohort size may increase up to 14 students with strict bubble groups
January 13, 2021: Phase 2 Grade Level Reopening in Hybrid Model – ECE and Grades TK-2
- Mandatory Testing and Training for all Staff, January 11 and 12 (Wednesday DL schedule on these days)
- Hybrid Model (not yet negotiated to completion)
- ALSO: After-School Program for Middle Schools
January 20, 2021: Phase 2B: Grade Level Reopening in Hybrid Model -Grades 3-5
- Mandatory Testing and Training for all Staff, January 18 and 19 (Wednesday DL schedule on these days)
Middle School and High School: Reopening target dates to be discussed at the November 4, 2020 School Board meeting.
FIVE KEY PRACTICES FOR REDUCING
SPREAD OF COVID-19 IN SCHOOLS
- Staff and students should stay home when they have symptoms of COVID-19 or when they have experienced a close contact with COVID-19
- Wear a face covering on the bus and when at school
- Practice social distancing
- Increase hand washing
- Take advantage of outside time, and ensure that classrooms are well ventilated with open windows and/or HEPA filters
Pre-K and Elementary School Family Educational Resources
As students return to school campuses for in-person learning, it will be important to stay vigilant with behaviors that reduce the risk of the spread of COVID-19. That means following the guidance and best practices of public health officials. To that end, families are encouraged to view educational videos and review the Pre-K and Elementary School Campus Safety Plan with their students before they return to their school. The videos provide tips important safety behaviors and the plan details some of the ways school days will be different as students return.
Feel Sick? Stay Home
Wear a Face Covering
COVID-19 Confirmed On-Site Case Dashboard
BUSD will report all confirmed COVID-19 cases among personnel and students physically present at district schools and facilities during their infectious period for COVID-19.
Elementary School Reopening Readiness Dashboard
This Elementary School Reopening Readiness Dashboard will be updated weekly. BUSD has completed many important steps in the plan to phase in the reopening of our school campuses for in-person learning. This includes modifications to facilities, the procurement of ventilation and air filtration upgrades, acquisition of face coverings, and expanded staffing and contracted support for district health and safety work. This dashboard is intended as a transparent means for the community to track BUSD progress on these important activities. Note that the status and future completion dates are estimates and will be revised when indicated.