Draft Comprehensive Wellness Policy: PDF
This policy outlines recommendations from the District’s Wellness Committee work done in FY19. The recommendations outline how the District can approach ensuring that there are environments and opportunities for all students to practice healthy eating and physical activity behaviors throughout the school day. Specifically, this policy establishes goals and procedures to ensure that:
- The Policy update and implementation goals will be directed by the Superintendent.
- Students in the District have access to healthy foods throughout the school day ‒ both through reimbursable school meals and other foods available throughout the school campus‒ in accordance with Federal and state nutrition standards; and adequate time to consume meals.
- Students receive quality nutrition education and other activities that promote student wellness that helps them develop lifelong healthy eating behaviors including sustainable food choices, including school gardens and kitchen classrooms;
- Students have opportunities to be physically active before, during and after school;
- School staff are encouraged and supported to practice healthy nutrition and physical activity behaviors in and out of school;
- The community is engaged in supporting the work of the District in creating continuity between school and other settings for students and staff to practice lifelong healthy habits; and
- The District establishes and maintains an infrastructure for management, oversight, implementation, communication, and monitoring of the policy and its established goals and objectives.
This policy applies to all students, staff and schools in the District. Below are directives on how the District will implement this policy once approved. Specific measurable goals and outcomes are identified within each section below.
- The District’s Nutrition Services is responsible for leading efforts required for updating and adhering to this policy.
- The District will coordinate the Wellness Policy with other aspects of school management, including the District’s Sustainability Plan, when appropriate.
- The Superintendent of Schools or designee from Executive Cabinet shall be responsible for the oversight, implementation, and evaluation of the Policy.
- A council of key stakeholders and community partners shall serve as an advisory group to oversee implementation and update of the Policy.
- The values and goals of the policy will be consistent with the policies, values, goals, and practices expressed by all District Policies.
- The District will promote parent, student and caregiver engagement and invite them into the process of implementing the Wellness Policy so the Policy reflects their values and the values of our schools for our students.
- This District recognizes the findings from the 2018 Berkeley Health Status report and recommits to supporting the health and wellness of our most vulnerable student populations.
- The District will also include any relevant data or statistics from state or local sources supporting the need for establishing and achieving the goals in this policy.
Wellness Committee Meeting Information (2019 – 2020)
|September 26, 2019|
|October 24, 2019|
|December 12, 2019|
|March 12, 2020|
|June 4, 2020|
Records from Previous Years:
Site Committees (TBD this year)
- Meeting Minutes
- Work Plans
Have some feedback regarding our Wellness Policy? Let us know!