Draft Comprehensive Wellness Committee: PDF
This committee outlines recommendations from the District’s Wellness Committee work done in FY19. The recommendations outline how the District can approach ensuring that there are environments and opportunities for all students to practice healthy eating and physical activity behaviors throughout the school day. Specifically, this committee establishes goals and procedures to ensure that:
- The committee update and implementation goals will be directed by the Superintendent.
- Students in the District have access to healthy foods throughout the school day ‒ both through reimbursable school meals and other foods available throughout the school campus‒ in accordance with Federal and state nutrition standards; and adequate time to consume meals.
- Students receive quality nutrition education and other activities that promote student wellness that helps them develop lifelong healthy eating behaviors including sustainable food choices, including school gardens and kitchen classrooms;
- Students have opportunities to be physically active before, during and after school;
- School staff are encouraged and supported to practice healthy nutrition and physical activity behaviors in and out of school;
- The community is engaged in supporting the work of the District in creating continuity between school and other settings for students and staff to practice lifelong healthy habits; and
- The District establishes and maintains an infrastructure for management, oversight, implementation, communication, and monitoring of the committee and its established goals and objectives.
This committee applies to all students, staff and schools in the District. Below are directives on how the District will implement this committee once approved. Specific measurable goals and outcomes are identified within each section below.
- The District’s Nutrition Services is responsible for leading efforts required for updating and adhering to the District’s policies.
- The District will coordinate the Wellness Committee with other aspects of school management, including the District’s Sustainability Plan, when appropriate.
- The Superintendent of Schools or designee from Executive Cabinet shall be responsible for the oversight, implementation, and evaluation of the committee.
- A council of key stakeholders and community partners shall serve as an advisory group to oversee implementation and updates.
- The values and goals of the Committee will be consistent with the policies, values, goals, and practices expressed by the District.
- The District will promote parent, student and caregiver engagement and invite them into the process of the Wellness Committee.
- This District recognizes the findings from the 2018 Berkeley Health Status report and recommits to supporting the health and wellness of our most vulnerable student populations.
- The District will include any relevant data or statistics from state or local sources supporting the need for establishing and achieving the goals in this Committee.
Wellness Committee Meeting Information (2019 – 2020)
|Meeting Date||Agenda & Minutes|
|September 26, 2019|
|October 24, 2019|
|December 12, 2019|
|March 12, 2020|
|June 4, 2020|