2020 Bonar Street, Suite 112, Berkeley, CA 94702
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Dr. Phillip Shelley, Director, Student Services
Phone: 510-644-6316 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Denise Diggs-Ray, Administrative Assistant III
Phone: 510-883-5224 | Email: email@example.com
Aiesha Lockett, Student Welfare and Attendance Specialist
Phone: 510-644-7775 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amelia Lewis, HOPE/McKinney-Vento Counselor
Phone: 510-644-6529 | Email: email@example.com
The Office of Student Services provides services and support for students, parents and guardians, and school communities in Berkeley Unified School District.
The Berkeley Unified School District values the input and feedback of our diverse students, parents and guardians, staff and community members. For concerns related to a specific school, community members are encouraged to contact the school principal as the first step. Information is provided below regarding filing formal complaints in Berkeley Unified.
The Student Services department includes the following areas to provide coordinated services to students and parents/guardians:
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS / School Climate)
- Support for children in Foster Care (Child Welfare and Juvenile Probation)
- Support for children who are legally homeless per McKinney Vento.
- Section 504 Plans
- Student Discipline – Suspensions, Recommended Expulsions
- Student Discipline – Alternatives to suspension.
- Gender Marker / Name Change (students who are transgender)
- Partnership Programs (Universities, Public Agencies, Community-Based Organizations) that provide school-based behavioral support and interventions
- Student Records
Sample California Healthy Kids Questionnaire
Every minute of a child’s time at school is important. Children who are absent for even a half of a school day, or who arrive later than their classmates, miss valuable instruction time and can easily fall behind in school. They also miss community building activities and fun with their peers.
Student Services staff work with principals, teachers, students, families and caregivers to increase student attendance and reduce absences from school.
Please note that BUSD calculates the time a student attends school (rate of attendance). This rate includes both excused and unexcused absences. Every school day counts. Thank you for helping to ensure that each student arrives at school on time and ready to learn.