September 2014 – All schools conducted a lesson in sexual harassment awareness to all students in grades 4 – 12. School administrators were provided suggested activities from curriculum developed by the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape.
November 2014 – Berkeley High School Principal sent a sexual harassment overview and FAQs to all BHS teachers and students. Teachers shared information to their students during 2nd period class on the basic elements of what constitutes sexual harassment and how to report it.
- Voluntary restorative circles were held for students who may have been impacted by sexual harassment.
- BUSD designated the Director of Student Services, Dr. Susan Craig, as the District’s Interim Title IX Coordinator.
- A meeting to establish guidelines regarding receiving, investigating, and responding to reports of sexual harassment took place on January 22.
- A letter regarding sexual harassment was sent to parents electronically through the three middle school and BHS e-trees (Jan. 26-27).
- The District’s Interim Title IX Coordinator attended a National Conference for Title IX Certification in Nashville, Tennessee (Jan. 26 – 29).
- Most classified managers and staff (non-instructional) completed a mandated Sexual Harassment Awareness training online (Jan. 26).
- A group of administrators, teachers, and parents began development of a set of basic guidelines on how to receive disclosures of sexual harassment from students, with the goal of having it ready to provide to staff by the end of spring break.
March 2015 – A letter regarding sexual harassment, previously sent by email to middle and high school etrees in January, was mailed to all BUSD middle school and high school families (in English and Spanish).
- The District’s Sexual Harassment Advisory Committee meets regularly to discuss recommendations regarding revisions to the District’s sexual harassment policy and concerns regarding practices and procedures related to sexual harassment prevention and response.
- The Board Policy Subcommittee has met several times regarding revisions to the sexual harassment policy. The Board will be considering the approval of an interim policy based on the California School Board’s Association’s recently updated model sexual harassment policy.
- The District has updated its website to include information regarding the Title IX Coordinator and it will continue to be updated with information regarding procedures and support related to sexual and gender harassment.