Berkeley Arts Magnet School at Whittier School offers a rigorous and inspiring curriculum in arts and academics. The school community values learning experiences in all domains, and consistently pledges funds and instructional time to incorporate visual arts, dramatic arts, music and dance into a comprehensive education program.
Berkeley Arts Magnet teachers recognize the diversity of learners in each classroom, and have committed to ongoing professional development to promote academic achievement for all students. We invest in programs, materials and services to ensure this outcome.
At Berkeley Arts Magnet, you will discover –
- Highly trained literacy coaches who provide extra support to students and ongoing professional development for teachers;
- On-site counselor to support the social-emotional needs of students and families;
- Arts specialists who provide dance, percussion, and visual arts instruction in collaboration with your child’s teacher;
- YMCA coaches who support games at recess and physical education for all students;
- A Universal Learning Support Systems (ULSS) specialist who provides additional support for struggling students; and
- Committed families, students and staff who work together to create an lively and engaged learning community!
Our parents and caregivers are an essential part of the school community, and take their responsibility as school partners seriously. Volunteers and organizers support our children at the classroom, school, district and community levels. This is a school that can count on lots of family support, and this is a school that provides multiple opportunities for participation. All our family groups (PTA, United As Family, School Governance Council, and the BAM Giving Campaign) promote active participation, parent education, student achievement, and community celebration.
Our school vision of the arts guides student learning and celebration of the arts:
- Students will experience productions that draw on all genres; build self-confidence and pride; and provide an integrated/cross disciplinary approach to the arts.
- Students will be able to build on last year’s learning and perform/present arts learning;
- Students will know theory, history, skill, practice and discipline related to the art form; famous artists and art history; “self as artist”; and aesthetic valuing.
Berkeley Arts Magnet does not shy away from challenges, and we face – as do many public schools – some sobering reality. “Our work is not complete, and we do not achieve excellence, until all our students thrive and achieve at the highest academic levels,” says former principal Kristin Collins. “We are working to reduce barriers to learning and to make the 2020 Vision a reality in our school. I see that daily in the work of our staff, the efforts of our students, and the support of our families.”
René Molina, Principal
Brenda Stanford, School Admin Assistant II
BAM Bell Schedule
Grades 1-3: 3:15 (Wed: 2:25)
Grades 4-5: 3:20 (Wed: 2:30)
Directory & Staff List
School Site Plan 2019-20
School Site Plan 2018-19
SBA Spring Testing Letter 2017
Smarter Balanced Factsheet for Families:
English | Español
Family Guides to the Smarter Balanced Assessment (Bilingüe)
Berkeley Arts Magnet PTA Website
School Accountability Report Card 2017-18
School Accountability Report Card 2016-17
Program Improvement Letter for 2014-15
Family Guides To Report Cards
History of Berkeley Arts Magnet
BAM has been a great school for my kids. The dedication and enthusiasm to educate kids makes the teachers and staff special.
– Parent of BAM Students
We are working to reduce barriers to learning and to make the 2020 Vision a reality in our school. I see that daily in the work of our staff, the efforts of our students, and the support of our families.
– Kristin Collins, Former Principal