- The original property purchased for the Emerson School was located on Russ (Derby) Street. This property was later exchanged for the current site at 2800 Forest Avenue.
- In 1906 the Emerson School was built. It was built with bonds authorized in 1903. The original architect was F.D. Voorhies. The first principal was Miss Emelie Bergen.
- By 1907 there were approximately 231 students. By 1926 there were 364 students.
- The original school building housed the public library for this area of town. Soon, the District needed the space, and by 1917 the library had moved.
- In 1965 the old building was demolished and a new building built. DeMars and Reay were the architects for this project.
- By 1970 there were approximately 346 students.
- In 1994 the school was modernized. The architect firm of Hardison Komatsu Ivelich and Tucker (HKIT) did the design work.
- In 1999, two additional classrooms were added to accommodate the school’s growing population.