- The first Jefferson School was constructed in 1906. The architect was A.H. Broad. The first principal was Miss Mary O’Bannon.
- In 1920 a new building was added to the site. This building was designed by William C. Hayes. It is the building which is commonly known as Old Jefferson. This building was never retrofitted for the Field Act, and the building and the site were sold in 1988.
- By 1926 there were four buildings and 15 classrooms. At this time, there were 458 students enrolled at Jefferson School.
- In 1952 several of the older buildings were demolished and a new building built. Kump and Falk were the architects hired for both this building and the Franklin School. In 1970 there were 660 students enrolled at Jefferson.
- In 1994 the school was modernized and an elevator tower and lobby were added. The architect firm of David Wade Byrens Architects did the design work.