John Muir History
- John Muir was constructed in 1916, with funds from the 1915 bond. The original architect as James Placheck. The first principal was Miss Lydia Atterbury. The original curriculum was based upon the Montessori method.
- By 1926 there were approximately 325 students.
- In 1937 the auditorium and kindergarten area was retrofitted to meet the Field Act.
- By 1970 there were approximately 479 students.
- In 1980 the classroom wing and the kindergarten area were retrofitted. The retrofit was designed by the team of Collin, Byrens, Gerson and Overstreet.
- In 1983 the building was closed for educational uses.
- In 1984 the school was reopened as a “model school” to mainstream special education students.
- In 1989 the Model School was chosen as one of the first schools to be made accessible to the disabled. This was accomplished over the next several years.
- In 1990 the school changed its name back to the John Muir School.