East Campus School History
- The location of the first Continuation School was in the McKinley School. Over the years this site was utilized for many functions. The site was purchased in 1891. It was located on Dwight Way between Dana and Choate (Telegraph). In 1896 the main building was constructed. The architect was Cunningham Brothers. In 1901 a manual training building was added. The architect was George Mohr. In 1906 a building was built on Haste Street. The architect was A.H. Broad. Mr. W.H. DeBell was the first principal. The school was originally named the Dwight Way School. It was renamed McKinley School in 1902. In 1954 the McKinley School was established as the McKinley Continuation School. James M. Preston was appointed the principal.
- In the late 1960’s the Board of Education voted to purchase the Savo Island site located at Carleton and Grove (Martin Luther King, Jr. Way) Street. In 1967 the McKinley School was sold although the District continued to occupy the building for several more years. In 1970 buildings were constructed to house the continuation and the Adult School at the Savo Island site. The architects were Collin, Gerson and Overstreet. The buildings were predominantly portables connected by wooden walkways.
- In 1984 the Adult School relocated from the East Campus site to the West Campus site. The East Campus site at that time housed the Continuation School, the Independent Study program, the Crossroads program, various administrative rooms and rental spaces.
- In 1996 the board hired VBN Architects to design a new site and buildings. A large proportion of the new classrooms were constructed by reusing the portables previously located at Berkeley High School and incorporating them into a mix of new buildings, courtyard space and portables.