Availability of Individualized Instruction for a pupil with temporary disability in the hospital or at home (EC §§48206.3, 48207-48208).
Home & Hospital Instruction (HHI) is available to all Berkeley Unified students (K-12) who are unable to attend school for extended periods of time due to physical or mental incapacity. Students must have authorization from a medical doctor and the school district to enroll. The student that is approved must have a need to be out of the school on record for 30 days or more.
HHI is individualized instruction that is available to students with temporary disabilities whose temporary disability makes attendance in the regular day classes or alternative education program in which the student is enrolled impossible or inadvisable. A temporary disability is defined as a physical, mental or emotional disability incurred while a student is enrolled in regular classes or an alternative education program, and after which the student can reasonably be expected to return to regular classes or an alternative education program without special intervention.
Families can apply for an extension of HHI by submitting another application after the first 30 days are finished. HHI is a temporary program. HHI students instruction is in grade level math, science, history, and English. HHI does not meet all graduation or A-G requirements for 9th-12th grade students.
Students in HHI may not be concurrently enrolled in any other school. If a student is with the HHI teacher for a quarter or more, then the HHI teacher may give a student grades for their classes.
HHI is not an interim placement for students waiting to be placed in another program or school, and is only for students with serious medical conditions. Students with IEPs must have an IEP placement meeting before moving to HHI. This program helps ensure that students, regardless of circumstance, can have access to their education.
HHI Application Process
- The family downloads application form here.
- A doctor must sign the application, give a medical reason, and add a return date. A doctor’s note attached is also acceptable.
- The current school Principal/VP must approve and sign the HHI application. If the student has an IEP, then an IEP meeting must be held and the IEP team must agree to a change of placement if appropriate. Please invite BIS principal/designee to IEP placement meeting.
- The family emails the completed application to the Berkeley Independent Study Office at BIS@berkeley.net
- Then the family contacts the HHI teacher to arrange a regular weekly schedule.
Please contact BIS@berkeley.net with any questions.