Martin Luther King Jr. School History
- The King School was originally named Garfield. Evidence exists that the program was located in a number of places, most prominently at 1414 Walnut and Whittier prior to the purchase of the current site.
- In approximately 1916 the site was purchased. In 1920 the main building was built. The architect was William C. Hayes. In 1923 the auditorium was constructed. In 1926 there were 1,026 students enrolled at the school. In 1928 an addition was added. This addition includes the current cafeteria. The architect was James W. Plachek. The building was retrofitted in 1937.
- In 1952 an addition to the auditorium was constructed. In 1955 the current gymnasium building was constructed. The architect was Masten and Hurd Architects.
- In 1965 the science building was constructed. The architect was Aitken and Collin Architects.
- In 1970 there were 1,260 students enrolled at the school.
- In 1981 the Media Center was constructed. The architect was Collin, Gerson and Overstreet.
- The Berryman Street areas used to contain a significant number of portables. Among other things, these portables housed a Parent Nursery program. The portables have been removed and the area is now used for an award winning garden.
- Borrowing on the original historic design, the architectural firm of Baker Vilar designed major renovations and seismic upgrades to King Middle School. In addition to changes in the main building, the bridge connecting the building to the library was demolished and the yard received substantial upgrades, including an exterior ampitheater. Renovation of the school was completed in 2003.