As of January 1, 2016, Senate Bill 277 prohibits parents/guardians of students in any school or child-care facility, whether public or private, to submit a personal beliefs exemption for any currently required immunization.
Starting July 1, 2019, new immunization regulations will go into effect per the California Code of Regulations Title 17, Division 1, Chapter 4. If your child is starting preschool, transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, or 7th grade, you are encouraged to take two important steps to avoid being excluded from school.
STEP 1: Check your child’s immunization record. If your child does not meet the school immunization requirements, get your child vaccinated as soon as possible. Please review the vaccine requirements below based on your child’s age:
- Parents’ Guide to Immunizations Required for Preschool/Childcare (Starting July 1, 2019): English | Spanish
- Parents’ Guide to Immunizations Required for School Entry at TK/K-12th grade (Starting July 1, 2019): English | Spanish
Make an appointment with your child’s regular health care provider for immunizations. If your child is uninsured, does not have insurance that covers immunizations, or has Medi-cal insurance, you can visit the Ann Chandler Public Health Clinic in Berkeley or another Alameda County Clinic.
STEP 2: Provide your child’s school with documentation that shows that your child has received all required immunizations BEFORE the first day of school. Remember, children who have not provided BUSD with documentation verifying they have received all required immunizations prior to the first day of school will not be allowed to attend school until all immunization records have been provided.
Need help or have questions about required school immunizations? Call the City of Berkeley School Linked Health Services Program at 510-981-7687.
General Immunization Information
- Parent Brochure with Easy-to-Understand Immunization Schedule: English | Spanish
- Preteen Vaccine Recommendations flyer for Parents: English | Spanish
- Vaccine Safety Information for Parents