Building excitement about science, technology, engineering, and math for our youngest students is the goal of the “Super Science Saturday” program in Berkeley Unified School District. Each Super Science Saturday is filled with STEM-related, hands-on learning through assemblies, learning stations, design centers, as well as coding and other tech skills practiced on Chromebooks. The program includes visits to Lawrence Hall of Science and the Exploratorium.
Launched as a pilot program in one school under the direction of Superintendent Evans in 2014, Super Science Saturdays is now open to students from every BUSD elementary school and offered at three schools on Saturdays from March to May. The Super Science Saturdays program has expanded STEM-related learning opportunities to 301 elementary students across the district (up from 224 in 2015). State LCFF supplemental funding directed at strengthening engagement of our high need students and grant funding from the Berkeley Public Schools Fund have made the expansion possible.
Click on the dates below to read more about the bi-weekly activities happening for elementary students on Saturdays!
You can also watch this short youtube video produced by the Rosa Parks Collaborative during the Spring 2014 Super Science Saturdays.
Super Science Saturdays at Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, & Thousand Oaks Elementary Schools, 2016
March 12, 2016 Super Science Saturday Report – At Rosa Parks, students participated in the Lawrence Hall of Science’s “Build It!” Festival.
March 26, 2016 Super Science Saturday Report – Field Trips to Lawrence Hall of Science, Exploratorium, Chabot Space & Science Center
Super Science Saturdays at Malcolm X Elementary, 2015
- February 21, 2015: Lawrence Hall of Science scientists engage students with “Flames, Flares, Explosions”, learning to code, design, and much more!
- March 7, 2015: Hands-on exhibits at the Lawrence Hall of Science: Gears, Motors, Motion
- March 21, 2015: “Slime!” and “Who Done It?”
- April 4, 2015: “What’s Matter?”
- April 18, 2015: Field trip to the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation
- May 2, 2015: “Build it!” at the Lawrence Hall of Science.
- May 30, 2015: Lawrence Hall’s “Quakes ‘n’ Shakes” Assembly & Roller Coaster Engineering Design Challenge Challenge
Super Science Saturdays at Rosa Parks Elementary, 2015
- February 28, 2015: Lawrence Hall of Science visits with their “Eww, Gross! The Human Body” assembly.
- March 14, 2015: Hands-on exhibits at the Lawrence Hall of Science: Science in Motion
- March 28, 2015: Lawrence Hall of Science brings their festival “What’s Matter?” and students talk about solids, liquids, gases.
- April 11, 2015: “Hands on Geology” and “Light Explorations.”
- April 25, 2015: Field trip to the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation
- May 9, 2015: “Fantastic Gas” and “Finding Animal Clues” at the Lawrence Hall of Science.
- May 23, 2015: Chabot Space and Science Center.
- June 6, 2015: Lawrence Hall’s “Wizard’s Lab” Festival & Rube Goldberg Machine Engineering Design Challenge