In order to give access to quality, culturally relevant music education to all BUSD students, the following Equity Plans were developed and have been in motion since 2015. Click here to see the full Equity plan with explanations, statistics, and a report card on how we are doing as of now.
Phase 1 Plan 2015-Present
- Recruit to Produce a Diverse Teacher Applicant Pool
- Cultural Competency Professional Development
- Form a Music Parent Equity Group
- Increase Visibility and Communication
- Create Alternatives to Institutional Structures that Promote
- Racially Predictable Access in Music
Phase 2 Plan 2021-Present
- Develop a culturally diverse curriculum that addresses the racial, cultural, and historical context of the music they are learning.
- Create “cannon” of culturally relevant repertoire that represents diverse composers and performers (BIPOC, women, LGTBQ+, etc)
- Develop student leadership within the BIPOC student musician community.
- Create events for students (to both perform and to observe) that promote the historical influence of BIPOC musicians and that represent and empower students of color.
- Shift Funding to accommodate major equity initiatives